Things I love

  • ~Louis
  • ~Family&Friends
  • ~IceCream
  • ~MyKindle
  • ~CoffeeBreaks
  • ~Sparkles
  • ~Knitwear
  • ~Vanilla
  • ~AllThingsLUSH~
  • GossipGirlxoxo~
  • Chips&Ketchup~

05 November 2013

Not my normal blogging spot


Thursday, September 26: Go to a coffee shop. Order a favorite drink. Write about what makes you happy and what makes you sad. Or write about anything you'd like! Bonus points for including a photo from the coffee shop. *if you can't make it to a coffee shop, at least leave your usual space and write someplace new.

Coffee, pastries, 30Rock.


Ok, yes, perhaps I' m a tad late in writing this post. And perhaps I am not in a coffee shop. But I wanted to wait until the perfect location. I think I have. I am currently sitting in Dubai airport, waiting for my flight back to Yemen. And, that ties in nicely with things that make me happy: travelling and family. Louis isn't travelling back with me though because we were just that little bit unsure about the current situation in Yemen :( Although there are many foreigners living in Yemen and some of my foreign friends visited Sana'a recently, I just really don't like taking risks. So anyway, that is something that makes me sad - not being with Louis. But it's been over 3 and a half years since I was last in Yemen, and the trip is grossly overdue. The tickets were booked, the bags were packed and my credit card prepared for further damage!

I must admit, I am quite overwhelmed about going back "home". For the past two days, I've had to focus on "I'm just going to Dubai, la la la la" rather than really think about getting back to where I grew up. I'm not sure why. Definitely because I am incredibly excited. But I think it's also because, not only does my heart beat for the love of the city, it also beats because of the crazy jets that I know will continue to freak me out. For most people who live in Yemen, they have become used to the sounds of fighter jets coming and going as they please. But I break into cold sweats when a plane flies low over the city, reminding me of the Civil War in the mid-90s. So I'm sure that anxiety is hiding somewhere in the back of my mind. 

Let's dig deeper still. I think I'm scared of how the people I love have changed in the past 4ish years. I find dealing with age and losing people very distressing. Several family members have sadly passed away since I was last in Yemen. Seeing my family aging is not easy. And I know that change is most apparent when it is sudden, so I'm bracing myself for that. I know that I am to blame for part of it - shouldn't have stayed away so long! Regardless, I literally can't describe how excited I am at seeing everyone! 

I have another 4 hours to kill before my flight...30Rock it is! 

Sx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...